Learn. Design. Coach. Perform.

Learn. Design. Coach. Perform.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Teach Code & Music with Code Organ

Code Organ is a really fun tool, but what can we teach with it?

Heck, we'll teach with a spatula and a second hand LA Dodgers ball cap, if pressed (and public school teachers are!)

One of the things I love about this tool is the unexpectedness of the output -- sticky! The novelty of Code Organ will create interest when you introduce young students to code.  Students will draw connections between web page code, patterns, and math through the exploration of the Code Organ.com tool. A lesson might include experimentation with a couple sites, some kind of pattern & output activity based on the Code Organ "About" section, and a project to create a similar tool -- paper based or techie.  This is thinkering at its best. 

The other great thing about Code Organ is that it can use multiple intelligences to teach code. For example, you can introduce code to learners who have lower mathematical intelligences but high musical intelligences -- and vice versa.

I used MI theory to help with my Intro to Music History course in college.  Contrary to popular belief, I have a low musical intelligence. But, my visual intelligence is off the charts.  My strategy? Match a painting to my audio identification piece.  I chose pairs based on the theme of the music or that had the same year/region.  I improved my results in the course at least one letter grade.  

According to Marcus Buckingham, we have the most potential to grow in our strengths areas, not in our weaknesses. Use one to supplement the other, and we create more successes. 

Click here to hear my site.  
Click here to take a MI assessment quiz.

Thank You, Mashable for sharing Code Organ.

No comments:

Post a Comment